Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Recent Question... How do you learn to like Running?

I think that most people can learn to like, even love, running.  Some people don't have to learn, they just love it.  I am kind of in between.  I did not hate it, but I did not love it when I began.  But, I had just retired from gymnastics and knew I needed something that would keep my in shape.  The more I ran, the more I loved it.  Then, I went to St. George to watch my dad run a marathon.  There was a big group of them that ran.  That night, we all went out to dinner.  The non-runners were saying how crazy the runners were because they could barely walk and were so tired.  I was thinking that I must be the crazy one because seeing the runners run and then seeing them after, made me want to run a marathon myself!  CRAZY! That was in October and then in January (2006), I ran my first marathon!  It was the Orange County marathon, in California.  I ran it with my dad. Then, almost a year and a half later, I ran the Ogden marathon on May 19, 2007.  On March 26, 2011, I ran my first half marathon!  It was a blast! P.S. I did all of these races with my amazing dad.

(My dad is the one on the left, this was his first marathon- the SLC marathon)

So, onto the point of this post....  Learning to love running! 10 tips for you, from ME!


1. First of all, if you have not been exercising, check with your doctor to make sure you are good to get up and get going!

2. Attitude!  You MUST have good attitude about this or it will not last! Think positive about yourself and what you are doing

3. Start SLOW!  Do not go from no exercise to running 5 miles in 45 minutes or you will get hurt. Remember everyone is at a different stage in their fitness, start where you are comfortable.  Push yourself, but not too hard.

4. Sign up for a race (if you are a brand new runner, try a 5k to start with)

5. Create a program to prepare yourself for the race. Then you know what to expect from yourself each day.  There are a lot of programs, just google it!

6. Crosstrain.  I do not run more than 3X a week, even when I was training for my marathons.  I think it helps avoid injury and possible boredom
---Crosstraining options: yoga/stretching, weightlifting, swimming, aerobics, zumba, spinning, even walking... just keep your body moving!

7. Invest in a good pair of shoes.  Your feet can take a beating, so take care of them!

8.  Music helps me like crazy!  I found a cool new website jog.fm that can suggest music for you pace and/or heart rate.  I love it!  I just downloaded a bunch of music and my current energizing song is "Basket Case" by Green Day!  Super old school, but it gets me to go faster!


9.  Make yourself Accountable! I don't mind running alone, but when I am doing a "long" run, I do a lot better with a buddy.  Most people do better if they have someone to be accountable to, so make a "running date" with someone!



10. HAVE FUN!  Enjoy the sweat dripping down your face, the feeling of your heart pounding.  Have fun knowing what a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself, and everyone that loves you!




P.S. These tips can be applied to beginning to exercise in general, you don't HAVE to run to be fit!
--------------------------------
What are your favorite songs to run/exercise to?
Mine are Basket Case, Buttons bu the Pussycat Dolls, anything by the Blackeyed Peas, Forget You by CeeLo Green and on and on.

What is your favorite race you've ran, or what race would you like to run someday?
I think my half marathon was my most fun, but I am most proud of my first marathon because I almost didn't finish. I would LOVE to run the New York Marathon someday!

Do you have any tips or secrets to learn to love running?

No comments:

Post a Comment